Dec 29, 2002

Bryant
LOVE THE SOCKS. Thanks, man.
I already told him that, but I know how you all love reading about socks. Enjoy, chuckas.

Giftage
I can't wait til Christmas. I have you guys' gifts ready. [checks calendar] Dammit.

Ok, but they are ready and it'd be cool to get everyone together so I can dump them on you all at once and you can trade if you don't like the flavor you got (I like beef but to each his own... broth). Maybe we can make it a dinner party, just tell Brendan to boil 2 cups for you ahead of time.

I can wait if some people aren't ready or are being APhiO fanatics or are chained to the DDR machine at Scandia. But let's do this before "education" tears us apart once again.

Wanted: a girl with a sweet voice
I've always preferred male vocalists to female. Boyz II Men, Shai, New Edition, Soul For Real. Brian McKnight, Michael Jackson. Something has just appealed to me more about them. Maybe it's the range in the group harmonies. Maybe I like to sing along and pretend I sound like them. Or maybe I don't want to sing along about the guy of my dreams. But whatever the reason, I've never been drawn to female singers. The only female artist I'd claim to be a fan of is Janet Jackson (well I have Lauryn Hill's CD, but that's about the lyrics). This never bothered me, since I always have some kinda good music to listen to.

But then... "Come What May" from Moulin Rouge. Nicole Kidman. oooh. Her voice is like silk sliding into my ear, tingling and titillating sans mercy. Maybe it's the notes she's singing... maybe it's the accent... I don't know. But I like it, and want more. Unfortunately, Ms. Kidman is lagging on her new record release. So I'm left with a longing for which my only current cure is a single track on neverending repeat. Not the worst of fates, considering I really like the song and Ewan McGregor does a good job too... but the spice of life would be preferred.

I've been asking people lately who they think are outstanding female vocalists. I repeatedly get the same answers: Mariah Carey. Christina Aguilera. Maybe a few others. I can see how these ladies are talented, but they just don't have the same effect. I mentioned this to Alex, and he suggested that maybe it's because I'm looking in the wrong genre. This is a strong possibility. What with the current state of R&B and pop music, vocal talent is often not showcased to its potential. Catchy beats and girl power raps or just talking are all the rage, jump on the bandwagon and let's make some horseshiet. So maybe I need to listen to something old, or something different (from musicals maybe). But I don't know where to start. Someone help me out here.

Equilibrium
I am intrigued and excited to see this movie. We must go when Steve gets back. All the newspapers seem to hate it. My friend said it was really cool and recommended it highly. On IMDB it got a more-than-good score of 8.4, averaged from over 700 people. In contrast, Drumline only got 6.5, but the newspapers all say DON'T MISS IT!!! Soon, we shall find out who we can trust and who's full of shiet.

No comments:

Post a Comment