Oct 27, 2003

Hmm, favorite movies? I hadn't really thought of it til now... Let's see...

Horror - The Ring
This movie really got me back into the whole horror thing. For most scary movies, you can only watch it once, and then the thrill is over. But this one is worth seeing over and over again for the burn effect. I can't decide which one I like more, the Japanese version or the American one. Both tell the story in a different way.

Comedy - Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back
Yeah, you heard me right. There is no reason. Oddly enough I don't have it yet. But the honorable mention also goes to a Kevin Smith film; Chasing Amy. Comic books, lesbians... Yeah... Uh. I mean.... Next category!

Foreign - The Killer/Hardboiled
Best action ever. This was when Chow Yun Fat and John Woo made good films. Before they tried to cross over. I had high hopes for both of them, but nothing has compared to the movies they made in Hong Kong. Face/Off does come close though.

Action - The Rock/Bad Boys
I believe The Rock was the first video I bought on VHS. What kid didn't like the explosions and action? Add an awesome musical score, and you have a hit. And Bad Boys... I got hooked after seeing it at Steve's house that one day. Man, those were the days. Again, action and explosions, with the comedy. Everyone wins.

Drama - Insomnia
One of my new favorites. Again, it just is. Al Pachino is awesome in whatever role he's in, be it a devil, or a detective. He's got a powerful presence on screen. A tale of a fallen hero and his redemption. Awesome.

Animated - The Lion King
Damn straight. It's probably because I just saw it this weekend, but the songs on there are timeless :) If you want to get away from Disney, Final Fantasy gets an honorable mention. I don't know why people hated it so much... The animation was skillfully done, even to this day. The story was a little weak, but hey, it's final fantasy. The public didn't really have the right mindset when watching it.

If you notice, all of these have been made recently. I think it's because I didn't see enough movies when I was a kid, and I'm just learning about the goodness that's out there. Older movies don't quite appeal to me for some reason. It's probably the trendy side of me though. For example, in my senior year of high school, we watched Casablanca. It's a classic, but I had never seen it. I was looking forward to boring black and white junk... But then I actually watched it. And it was good. I figure if I get exposed to more of those old films I'd enjoy them. Oh yeah, 12 Angry Men get a mention here too... Had to see it in a college philosophy class. It was really impressive in a philosophical type of way... hehehe

Feedback on Brendan's picks.
Some good ones in there, really. Swingers and Rounders would have made my list, but I wanted to be "original." Requiem for a Dream did what it was supposed to do, disturb me. I agree, I felt something for each of the characters and it was hard to watch them fall the way they did. I'm not doing crack anytime soon that's for sure. Indiana Jones also gets a nod. Actually, if I had to rank them, I'd go Last Crusade, TOD, and then RotLA. I just really disliked the evil character in Raiders. That and the whole face melting thing traumatized me as a kid.

Now for something completely different
Disgaea. It's sucking the life away from me. RPG + Anime = Fun. The offbeat japanese humor fits perfectly with the feeling of the game. Atlus, the publishers have now become my favorite group. This is how the PS2 should have been used... I still don't understand why they don't just keep the japanese audio track for those that want it. I don't think I'll ever get used to the dubbing. It's always so terrible! I saw on one of my anime's the making of dubs... This chick was so proud to be doing 10 different voices. But she sounds the same, with a really stupid voice for each one.

That's enough ranting. I want to post more later, but I have this stupid Human Resources class I have to study for. I will also know if I get the job this week. The interview went well, and none of the questions were too hard. In this job I actually get to use some business knowledge! I have to manage costs and forecast... I really do want it.

No comments:

Post a Comment