Nov 23, 2003

Tony would like to know who are favorite female celebrities are. If I can remember correctly I believe we already did a list like this, but it was written like “name some females that you think are attractive, but doesn’t get a lot of play from either your friends and/or media”. However Tony did pose an interesting question because finding ten of your favorite actresses might actually be harder than finding your ten favorite films. Kevin even listed them in order which is bonus points. I heard Jon has compiled his list together and is just waiting for the right time to publish it. I have no clue when that is, but I’m sure he’ll have some good picks in there. Please no Matrix. I beg you. So after careful thought and consideration I’ve decided to start my list of my top ten, however there will be no way I can finish it in one blog. I could give simple descriptions of why I like them, but I have a feeling I might go overboard. So another list starts on Pooky. Some of you might find this boring, but I think it is very interesting and believe it or not, I read every single one of your guys’ lists. It makes for wonderful conversation. Overall we had some very interesting choices, but I think we can at least all agree that most of these films listed are in fact entertaining.

Shout out to Kevin for sticking on Casablanca and the wild card of sorts, It’s a Wonderful Life. I’m trying to get into the Christmas spirit too. So feel free to get my presents NOW. Now on to my list of my favorite actresses and with it…a flame war of sorts I’m sure. This list of course is not based on attractiveness alone…but I would be lying if I said it didn’t help.

Maura Tierney - A very low key actress that popped up in News Radio. I’m not sure if all of you are big fans, but I know Steve likes that show. Maura then appeared in Liar Liar I believe. Then good luck shined upon me and she was cast as Abby on my other favorite show, ER. I like how she doesn’t over dramatize her parts and in her craft there lay a subtlety that I just find irresistible.

Grace Kelly - Another actress that has that natural quality about her. She was first a model and decided to give acting a try. Hitchcock loved her and when viewing Rear Window you can see why. Nothing dramatic. In fact not even the best acting I’ve ever seen, however she is one of those actresses that can speak with her eyes and that kind of dialogue is more memorable in my mind.

Annette Bening – I loved her performance as Sydney in The American President and her crazy role in American Beauty. There is something very genuine in the way she presents herself on screen and off (well at least in interviews that I’ve seen). She seems to know when her role isn’t the lead and doesn’t try to make it more than it is. Again the fact that she can take something complex and break it down into something that comes off as simple amazes me.

Halle Berry – Okay so for some reason a lot of people don’t think she deserved that Oscar for Monster’s Ball. I don’t really understand why…she came off as an erratic, depressed mother whose life is falling apart. She made me empathize with her and that is why she made it on this list. Another reason (besides the fact that she is absolutely stunning) is that even after her Oscar she wasn’t afraid to take on different roles even if it wasn’t Oscar material. She played Storm and will continue to do so. Now she is Catwoman. This shows she doesn’t think she is too high for these fun roles.

Jodie Foster – In Silence of the Lambs she seemed vulnerable, yet believable enough to catch a serial killer. In Maverick she played the part of Annabelle to perfection. She was conniving, sweet and just a little bit naughty in that film. Maverick didn’t get on my top ten for nothing, and Jodie Foster did her part to put it there. On a quick note, even though I cannot say I enjoyed Contact, I did appreciate her performance in it…and it was the only thing keeping me awake.

Well I think that it is it for now. Overall I think I can sleep comfortably knowing that I put names that I truly believe bring something special to the screen rather than just the typical, “yeah she played the part well”. As you can tell I like simplistic acting better than crazy, dramatic shit…which is actually ironic considering that I am getting into these older films when the acting was much more “fake”. Oh well. I bored you enough. Enjoy and the next installment will be soon…

No comments:

Post a Comment