Nov 4, 2003

Video game endings. That's the subject I'm opening with. Not interested? hah, too bad suckas. I gotta keep thinking of something fresh to add to this blog :)

I'm late with my blog of the week. Why? Well, I'm blaming it on Disgaea. I finally beat it last night after 71 hours of fun. The ending was only about 5 minutes long, but it left me feeling good about the game. I put down the controller, contemplate the game for a bit as I watch the credits roll, and see that it has a nifty "New Game +" feature. I was tempted, but I decided against it, and went to my desk to read some reviews on the game and look at the gamefaqs. I look at the faq list and freeze. "Ending Guide."

....

Damnit.

I was playing around at the beginning and accidentally killed one of my characters. JUST ONE. And the condition to get the "good" ending is to... you guessed it. Not kill any of your characters. So I'll be doing that new game + thing.

But it got me thinking about multiple endings. This was the second game that I got a "bad" ending on in recent memory. The first game was Silent Hill 2. But you know what? I liked that ending. The SH2 I beat ended on a darker note, but it was satisfying. It made sense, and I went away happy. I look at the other endings, and they just don't look as appealing. Is it because I got this ending first?

Chrono Trigger in all it's 12 endings, would end the same way, except for maybe a frame or two or a "secret hidden room." A lot of it was weak. I'm not saying I didn't like the ending, but the multiple endings really weren't vastly different. It didn't make me want to replay the game at all.

Should all video games have multiple endings? I'm curious to know if there were any good ones or bad ones that come to mind. I would like to think the video game industry is trying to tailor the games to the way a person plays, as with Silent Hill 2. It's probably just my wishful thinking though.

But enough about that for now.

I went in for my 3rd interview on Saturday. I guess they're really serious about the whole process. Actually, I know they are. I should get a call today or tomorrow if I get the job. Oh yeah. CEC Entertainment = Chuck E. Cheese. I'm applying for a "manager" position. It is just like the Scandia job, but with a bigger staff, cost management, and smaller kids :) Can you believe if I get the job, I have a 6 week training program down in Newark? What the hell is that? But they say they'll work around the school schedule, and hopefully I'll learn some more points about managing people.

This month is the last month of the lease, and I gotta start looking for a place to live. I'll be getting two new roomates and we're looking at houses in the Rohnert Park area. The cost isn't that bad, about the same for a 3 room apartment up here. But I hate yard work. I've always hated it, especially when my parents made me mow the lawn 'n stuff. But I am looking forward to having a place without punk ass downstairs neighbors. But I'll save that for another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment