Apr 15, 2005

Poker Experiment
As most of you know by now, I wanted to try setting a goal in poker. The logic being that having a clearly defined goal is always better. Let me report that in poker, this is not a very good thing. I mean, at first glance it's a great idea, being able to pace yourself and determine how good you're doing. But the downside is that if you're hurting (like being in the 10th day in the 2 week challenge) and only have a fraction of the amount, you try to compensate.

Unless you're strong willed.

Which I am not.

Anyway I sit here even further from my goal wondering what went wrong. Could it have been the 3 tables at once? Could it have been the long duration I've been sitting down at my computer? Well, whatever the reason, I am going to have to abandon this goal, grab some food and start up next week with a fresh mind. During the course of the two weeks I've come to realize quite a few things...

- The harder you try, the further away you get.
- The most frustrating thing in the world is sitting at a perfect table and not getting the cards you need to make it profitable.
- The second most frustrating thing: The way your eyes get after looking at a monitor for more than 3 hours at a time.
- I do not have the power to stay focused for more than 3 hours when I have web sites that need searching or desks that need to be cleaned.
- Asses were not made to sit in this chair of mine for long periods of time. Maybe Steve could help me out on this one :) FIX IT! My ass deserves to be comfortable!

All kidding aside, I really did learn a bit about the game and the types of people that play it. I've seen good plays and I've seen horrible plays. I caught the people that don't pay attention to the table, and I've been able to watch for the slowplaying bitches. So all in all, it's been fun, but I don't think I'll ever try something like this again.

So as of Friday morning at 12:33 I declare that the challenge is done. I ended with only about 200 profit. I'll start playing again next week. But I'm taking a slight break. Time for some DDR or something more active.

No comments:

Post a Comment