Sep 1, 2017

Jillian Jensen

This blog entry might be a bit rough (I apologize ahead of time)

So I mentioned this before to Jon and Brendan, but one of my previous co-workers committed suicide a few weeks ago by jumping off the Golden Gate Bridge.  We had worked together at three different companies - we were both in HR (it's a fairly small community up here!) but it wasn't like I was that close to her.  We didn't hang out very much outside of work and I literally haven't talked to her for about a year.  But I bring it up again because I had to cross the Golden Gate for the first time since she died.


I couldn't get the picture of her leaving her car, purse and keys behind in the parking lot and walking to a "suitable" spot out of my head.  I notice the chain link fences at the start of the bridge.  I get irrationally angry about how the suicide barriers haven't been installed yet.  I feel maybe a bit sad and lonely that there was no one there to talk her out of it.  I don't know if either of those things would have helped.  I think about her family and all the love being posted on her facebook wall.

I wonder if she found peace.

I know this is cliche, but if anyone out there is hurting and is thinking about suicide, reach out to SOMEONE.  ANYONE.  Hell, even me.  Even if you feel at your worst, talk it out a bit.  It might not solve all problems by talking, but it should at least be a small step in the right direction?

Anyway, I am still working through this - apparently it's still a bit raw.

Time off the blog!

On that cheery note, I completed my 5 day blog challenge!  It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be and it did feel good to spend some time with my thoughts (as random as they may be) rather than my usual activities of playing video games or catching up on movies.  When I come back maybe I'll try a 10 day challenge!

Until next time!

1 comment:

S said...

I'm sorry to hear that man.

i think all of us have been in some dark places in our lives. There were moments where I think all of us ask ourselves if it's going to get better.

I read a great quote the other day. It said: "No matter how happy someone may seem, they have moments when they question if they can go on. No matter how confident someone may look, there are times when they feel insecure and unsure. And no matterhow strong someone may appear, they have days when they feel like they're falling apart. Never think for a moment you're alone with your struggles. You're not a mess. You're human."

i wish your coworker hadn't made the decision that she did, but I do hope she found some peace.

Post a Comment