Jan 22, 2004

Trading in the tractor
This is a special section for all you farm hands out there. I told you the next update to jhiro.net would be a Cars section to help with your search for the next BeMani-mobile. Anyone can see that this was a lie. So here's something to keep you aware of your best options.

It seems like you're looking for something sportier than another Civic, which I must say I agree with. The WRX and the Evo are excellent performance values, but pricey nonetheless. Sorry to say, but the ordinary Lancer will not come close to your plans to "one-up Lockheed guy over there". In other words, don't even think about it. So how about something in between. Fortunately for you, now is a good time to shop for sport compacts with economy car prices. Even though I already impulsed my car and love it, it's still impressive to look at some of what's available now and soon. In a few years I'll be wishing I had leased just so I could keep on top of the new shiet. Point being, you get to benefit from my continued research. Here's the short list of sport compacts for now (a small clipping from my OCD homemade spec sheet, colorized for your enjoyment):



Expect another $800-900 for an automatic. M* means automatic is not even an option... it's just that damn sporty.

Now for my custom-made-for-Brian personal recommendations...
- The STi and Evo are too expensive, and you will not be able to utilize them to their full potential. Unless you go to an even more lame, secluded area. Or a racetrack. In this price range you could get a G35, and they only let you buy those if your pants have "FANCY!" stamped all over them. Besides, you can still get crazy speed with the normal WRX for thousands less.
- Ah, the TSX... I sat in one at the Moscone Auto Show. They are very nice in all respects, but for the high price I'd want more power. Speaking of power...
- WRX, original sauce. The price is dropping and temptation rising. This was the first car I test drove, and I must admit I still miss the amount of pull it had when the turbo kicked in. Getting on the freeway would never get old (w/o traffic). It's stylish without being too flashy. I'm not sure if you want to spend this much, but I'd love to take a ride in one of these. And there's definitely some one-up action if you spring for this. In the end it's all about beating your friends. Yeaorgh!!!
- RSX and Celica... both good cars, but the RSX style is a bit suped-up-Civic-esque, and the Celica rear seat is a cruel joke on your friends. Either way, at this point I'd spend a little more and get the WRX.
- The Protege always got respect for its great handling, but had a weak engine. In Mazdaspeed form it finally has some power, so there's nothing left to complain about.
- SRT-4. A ridiculous performance bargain... about in the same league as the WRX, but again for thousands less. The style is funky and the interior cheap, though.
- Ah, under $20,000... nice. Here we go... the possible purchase date is getting closer and closer up in hya!!!!
- VW and Focus. Volkswagens probably have above average interiors and features. Plain looking but I've gained respect for them. The Focus gets amazingly good reviews, but looks amazingly bad (not that I ever see the SVT on the street).
- The Ralliart and SE-R are pretty close. Despite the numbers, the Ralliart was somehow faster and won in a comparison test. They both have good performance and cost about the same as a Civic EX. I drove Ricki's SE-R once and it was a lot of fun... I was ready to buy one, but they were all sold out. I don't think you'd be disappointed with either of these... if you can stand the thought of "coulda had a WRX" for the duration of ownership, heh.
- The Mazda3 is very cool. A mini Mazda6 (half the car for half the man hehehe wheee), it's setting a new standard for economy cars--replacing the Protege, it has power, handling, and a nice interior and features (steering wheel controls, even optional navigation). I could've waited and got one of these, if the Silver Bullet weren't trying to kill me.
- I think the Ion Red Line and Scion tC look like they'll be contenders. I never liked Saturns before for any reason, but this one has a whole lot of power and doesn't look bad. I'm guessing it'll cost about $20k. The tC really impressed me when I first saw it, but maybe just because Scion's current cars look... unusual. It will probably fall between the SE-R and the Mazda3.

Based on what I've heard from you so far, the choice is almost obvious. Part of you wants superperformance (WRX/Evo), and part wants to just go cheap (Lancer, standard weak version). The perfect balance between the two? I say go with the Lancer Ralliart. The style is a slightly softened Evo look, which isn't bad. And it has sporty performance for a reasonable price. The Sentra SE-R, Spec V or not, is also a good choice.

If I overshot it, and you want to spend less, definitely go with the Mazda3. You can get a lot--power, handling, style, and nice features--for a very good price (about as cheap as possible without making a big mistake, on new cars that is).

And if you decide you really need to get to the harvest superfast, and make friends jealous, and don't mind turning into AzN*RaCeR, and are ready to pay for it, get the WRX. Or the SRT-4 if you can stand the look and feel of it.

And of course, when the time comes, test drive all your considerations before impulsing like an idiot. Who does that?! Mang!!!!!



Ah, Capcom
I like Mega Man music more than most people.
Two meanings.
Both true.



"Thank you"s

No comments:

Post a Comment