Jun 30, 2005

**There is a point to this blog besides me talking about Poker AGAIN...besides I'm playing Paradise Poker and have nothing better to do.

So we just played a cash game comprising of No-Limit Hold'em. I honestly didn't think I had the upper hand in this game since Tony and my dad (who I just found out from Tony a couple weeks ago that he plays NL online and not limit) both play on the internet where I tend to hide out in shallow waters and stick to my game of lower than shit limit. Anyway we actually had an awesome turnout for like a 1 hour notice. The game started off with Bryant, Tony, my dad and I. Later on in the game Derek and Anthony joined us.

I'll give Bryant his props right off the get go. He bought in for only five dollars while the rest of us riverboat gamblers bought in for 10.00. After some calls from Anthony and Tony and flush draws that always seemed to come for Bryant (hehe) he walked away with about a nice 20+ dollar profit. Well Bryant had to go and I think Tony also tapped out at about the same time.

Of course Anthony and Derek weren't finished with my dad and I.

So we kept on playing. Now here is where the story gets a little interesting and I honestly want to know what you guys think...

Now I am confident, but I never let my ego get the best of me since I know that egos have been the doom of too many poker players. HOWEVER, I will say that I am a better cardplayer than Anthony. So basically this hand came up...pardon the 3rd person talk...its easier to keep the hand straight when I type it. I wrote what I was thinking in parenthesis.

Blinds .10 - .20

Brendan is on the small blind w/JQ offsuit. Brendan makes it .40 to go.
Anthony calls.
Flop is Ks 8d 9c

(This gives me a gutshot draw. I know Anthony can have any 2 cards in the deck)

Brendan checks.
Anthony checks.
Turn is 10c

(Bingo. I have no clue how I pulled that out of my ass, but hooray for free cards...I now have the absolute nuts and think about how I want to play this. I know Anthony likes to fish and I don't want him to fold just yet...even if he has the club draw. I'll take those odds any day. I'll go with the amount that I feel Anthony has been calling.)

Brendan bets 1.00
Anthony quickly calls and says "I gotta give it a try right?"

(Now I know he's on a draw [obviously] and hope that the board doesn't come with a club that also pairs the board...which the board pairing isn't a huge problem. Anthony would have raised me if he had two pair and who knows...perhaps pairing the board will give him tripps or even make him two pair if he is holding one pair now.)

The river is a 6d

(I was stupid and wasn't looking at Anthony when the river came. I usually always look at people, but this was a clear tell on my part that I wasn't even concerned with what he had. And you probably won't believe me on this...but I think my play coming up will show you that it is at least legitimate. I was shuffling my chips trying to figure out what exactly he had so I can extract full value for the nuts...then I glanced up and saw Anthony looking down at the board with his head microscopically bobbing. I knew it right then and there. He had either a K7 or A7. He made his 10 high straight on the river. Now I knew I was going to get paid off...now I need to make a bet that is small enough for him to come over the top of me. I know from past experiences with Anthony that while he doesn't necessarily take it personally, it seems that he can easily get into a raising war with someone.)

Brendan bets 2.50
Anthony raises to 4.00 total

(This assures me even more. Again I'll make it a small bet to go)

Brendan re-raises to 6.00 total
Anthony re-raises and makes it 14.80 total
Brendan calls.

Anthony shows A7 for 10 high straight
Brendan shows JQ for King high straight

Now here is the question I am going to ask and I want an honest answer. There is one part to this story I am leaving out. While I had the nuts and knew that Anthony was going to get all his all or most of his money in the pot after the river came out I started looking frustrated and confused and also said things like, "You can't have that 7." "There is no way you rivered again." "You just can't have that 7." and put in my bet with a "I don't think you have it."

Is this wrong? Now against any of the regulars I wouldn't think twice about this. However, Anthony doesn't play that often with us and I exploited that during this one hand that tapped him out. Obviously he wasn't happy that I was pretending to be worried about the 7, but he took it well. So what I want all of you who play with us is to answer this question...because even I feel bad at the poker table when I take all of my friends chips in a CASH GAME not a tournament.

WAS THIS FUCKED UP OF ME TO ACT LIKE THE SEVEN BOTHERED ME?

Well I'm not totally feeling bad about this, don't get me wrong. I've studied, talked with Jonathan, logged in a bunch of hours playing cards so I deserve a little something back. I was just wondering what your thoughts on this was...

BTW for those that were there last night but had to leave early. The very next hand my dad wanted to keep playing heads up with his 10 dollars in chips. I called his final all in 5.00 bet with bottom pair and caught him bluffing. (My dad is gonna kill me for telling you that.) So I came out with a 40 dollar profit last night.

No comments:

Post a Comment