Feb 7, 2003

Kickboxing

Ahh soreness… what blissful agony. After Monday’s class I was sore like whoa. I felt it when I got dressed. When I opened a door. When I washed my hands. I felt it over and over again. I don’t think the pain is from the push-ups or the endless punch combinations. I think it’s from holding up those damn Thai pads while your partner gets to do all the moves. These things are about the size of a long shoebox, and get very heavy after being held up for half an hour. My shoulders and back are the most affected. But it’s that good kinda pain. Kinda.

Wednesday our instructor instated a rule because he was tired of people coming in late: for every minute that someone is late, the rest of the class does a push-up. Okay. Some guy comes in 15 minutes late, no big deal. But we do the push-ups real slow, all together at the instructor’s count. That makes it a little harder. But that’s nothing. Class continues. This other focker comes in 45 minutes late. At the end of class, we do 25 normal push-ups, and finish the rest off with these brutal spread-leg dipping push-ups, in two wonderful variations. While Mr. I-missed-half-the-class-and-fuct-everyone-over gets to count them out for us. The point being, of course, that we end up hating whoever comes in late. But I heard someone say, “I’m gonna come in late next time.” Yeah go ahead. And I’ll go ahead and piss on your gear and not remember it after. Justice.

Some of you may be curious on the Frenchy update… I found out her name is actually Ariane. I’m still learning more about her and France and stuff… and starting to see what may be a feisty flavor to her. Once while I was holding the pads for her she could see I was getting tired, and she said, “feel free to take a break… if you’re feeling… WEAK,” and smiled slyly upon uttering that last offensive word. Oh, and we got in trouble. We were switching gear… well, we were supposed to be, anyway. I took off the gloves and she took off the pads, and we sat down. People did the same, some went to get a drink of water. For some reason when the instructor told us to switch and get our gear back on, it didn’t register. I started asking her about English being taught in French schools. I looked up. Everyone in class was standing up with their gear on. We were sitting on the floor, with our gear lying around, utterly unprepared to participate in any type of kickboxing exercises. I jumped up and grabbed the pads, but it was too late. The instructor basically said, “I don’t see why people are sitting around chatting, we don’t have that much time. When I say put your gear on, I mean put your gear on,” and looked right at me. Luckily some girl who was a returning student ran over and helped me out, and the instructor started clowning on her a little, which lightened the mood. I guess it could have been embarrassing for most people... I don’t even remember the last time I let something embarrass me. I just wanted to finish the conversation. But that would have to wait. First I had to get my shoulders all achy. Anyways, we talked more after class, and I’m pretty sure we’re gonna be partners all semester. So more on that later…

Oh yeah, so I have all the gear now, except the mouthpiece. Which means we have another pair of boxing gloves. And I have an extra pair of wraps too, for our more serious bouts. Bring it on, chuckas.

Makes me laugh

Calvin & Hobbes
I read through the Calvin and Hobbes Sunday Pages book, which was of course classic hilarity. I laugh every time I think of this one strip: Calvin is running late to school, and forgets his lunch on the kitchen counter. He runs back and misses his mom who is trying to bring it to him. He misses the bus, and they yell at each other. When she’s driving him to school, they both look pissed… as he sits in the back seat with arms crossed, his frown is absolutely hilarious. People at work must be wondering why I start smiling/laughing at random times.

South Park
I just saw the Towelie episode. Towelie is an intelligent towel with arms, legs, eyes, and a mouth. He always wants to get high, and says (in a high-pitched Mr. Hanky-like voice) stuff like “man I’m so high, I have no idea what’s going on.” And he always responds to any comment involving water with advice on towel use. (ex. Kyle: "I'm gonna go to the beach"... Towelie: "Don't forget to bring a towel!") That’s not the funny part. The funny part is at the end:

(Stan, Kyle, Cartman, and Towelie are playing a 4-player video game)
Stan: “Ok guys get ready, I think the next level is a water stage.”
Towelie: “Don’t forget to bring a towel!”
Cartman: “Towelie, you’re the worst character ever.”
Towelie: “I know.”
(roll credits)

Shanghai Noon 2
I didn’t see the first one. I don’t think the new preview is especially funny. But I laugh when they show on screen “LONDON”, and Owen Wilson says, “this country blows.” Heheh nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment