Nov 18, 2002

Ahh, I just got back from one of the most interesting days at work. It really opened my eyes a little bit about conflict resolution 'n junk. I'm going to share it with you guys just for the hell of it.

Scandia attracts many types of people, from innocent little kids to the wannabe hard-core punks. Tonight one of my employees, Paul, noticed about 10 Mexicans ranging from 18-25 were drinking in our parking lot. Scandia is privately owned, and one of our rules is no open alcohol on the grounds. Paul radios the situation to me, and I go to check it out. Before I get there, Paul is telling this group to leave, and that they are not to come back at Scandia. Not the smartest move confronting 10 drunk people by yourself.... Anyway, of course they take offense to the situation. I grab Paul and we move back inside. Normally that would be the end of it, but they continued to hang around and were getting louder. I moved Paul inside to do some trivial work, and I called the police. RP police love to take their time responding to our calls. After making the call, I notice that some of the drunks have moved inside. That really didn't bother me, but it scared the shit out of Paul. He said that threats were made to him. So, I moved him into the office, where only I have the key... Long story short, they leave and the police arrive 10 minutes later.

Normally that would be the end of it, but after I closed Scandia, they came back. I had a team of 3 with me, including Paul (Donno, why he didn't leave when given the chance...). They were standing outside the gates looking in. I had Paul hide in the "track house" while I secured Scandia... We have radios and he tells me he called the police. After a fun 10 minutes, police arrive and bust them.

Life should have been well and good, but I can't stop thinking about it. While locking down Scandia, I couldn't think why they didn't try to come in... The police tell me later that they didn't have a ride and were waiting on a taxi. And you know what? A taxi did come by after the police. I think we accidentally jumped the gun and assumed that they were back for Paul. I drive away and I see In & Out on the ground. I could imagine them walking to In & Out, eating and coming back. They did nothing after our closing... They were probably surprised that the police came to talk to them. Instead of me going out to talk with them, the police were called. What would have happened if I had gone out to talk? Would I have discovered that it was all just a misunderstanding? Did I not want to talk to them because of how they looked?

Anyway again, I'm just scribbling what's coming to my head, and it usually doesn't make too much sense, so I'll move on :)

I should be coming back for Thanksgiving, but I won't be able to stay for very long. I'm usually the one to work on weekends, so I'd only be able to stay a day or so... heh, remember that promise to stick with you guys more? I guess I'm still breaking it :( We'll see what happens.

Four weeks of school left! I can't wait to be done with this semester, so I can finally change my major to buisness. I'm a lot happier in the business field... The other day I took a look at some of my programs, and I laugh at some of the comments I made. One of my dear comments was "This function gets called... Not that it does anything." I'm surprised that my professors didn't die from laughter. Fun times...

Time for some sleep... Got another wonderful day of work and school tomorrow! Til next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment